Caries, literally translated, means rotten or foulness. Therefore dental caries, commonly known as cavities, refers to the rotting portion of a tooth. I came across a video that does a nice job of explaining the process of tooth decay. Let me know what you think.
The best way to prevent dental caries is to prevent the problem from ever occuring. Here are a few tips:
- Reduce the amount of plaque and bacteria in your mouth by brushing and flossing daily.
- Use antibacterial mouth rinses to reduce the levels of bacteria that cause cavities.
- Eat less sugary and starchy foods
- Chew gum that contains xylitol
- Strengthen your teeth by using flouride
- The use of sealants to protect the teeth
At the dental office of Dr. Velma Cooper, we offer solutions for anyone interested in transforming their smile. To arrange your Smile Makeover consultation, call our office today at 919-806-3007. For your convenience, you can use our online Request an Appointment form to schedule your preferred consultation time with Dr. Cooper.